Travelling out of the country is fast becoming a trend in the country. Nigerians refer to it as Japa. Travelling out of Nigeria is not like moving from Lagos to Ibadan through commercial vehicle, it requires travelling through an airplane or ship. For this, you need an international passport.
People find it difficult to get an international passport because they can be scammed. Getting an international passport is easy when you are travelling for the right reasons. So, how do you get it?
In this article, I will be taking you through the rudiments and requirements of applying for an international passport.
Table of Contents
What is an International Passport?
An international passport is a document confirming citizenship for every Nigerian citizen. It also serves as a means of the necessary documentation for international travel. In this post, I will list the important documents and steps to take when applying for an international passport.
First, have it at the back of your mind that you will need a list of documents available before you consider applying for an international passport.
Documents Needed to Apply for an International Passport
Below is the list of documents you will need for you to apply for an international passport.
- Local government identification letter.
- Birth certificate/Age declaration letter.
- Two recent coloured passports.
- Parent’s letter of consent
- Guarantor’s form sworn before a commissioner
- Police report.
- Marriage certificate.
- A letter of introduction from your state government/federal government.
- Letter of appointment.
Steps to Apply Online for a Nigerian International Passport
After completing your online application for a Nigerian passport, you must pick up a physical copy of your passport from the passport office in your area. Please follow the procedure outlined below to apply for a passport in Nigeria.
For you to access the Nigerian Immigration Services online, click here.
- Pick your passport type: Select “Standard e-Passport” OR “Official e-Passport,” and then “Start Application.”
- Pick a nation where the processing will take place: This is where you will collect your passport book.
- Fill out the application: Upon checking the box that says “I ACCEPT FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE INFORMATION PROVIDED IN THIS FORM,” Click the “PRINT” button to print the application.
- Documentation upload: Upload scanned versions of your necessary paperwork. Stated documents should be scanned and uploaded as PDF files.
- Proceed to the online payment page: Pick your desired currency by clicking the “Pay in Naira” or “Pay in Dollars” button. After you’ve finished paying, hit the submit button.
- Identification number: Your application will be assigned a unique identifier and a reference number. Once you’ve paid and gotten a “Validation Number,” you can verify it on the Nigeria Immigration Service website.
- Guarantor form: Get a copy of the Guarantor’s form after printing it. Then upload it/continue. Please enter your passport application ID and reference number and click submit.
- Biometrics and image capturing: Upon submitting your online application, you must visit the immigration office designated for you to have your pictures and biometrics taken.
Having done all that, you will be notified to Confirm your validation number, which is very important. You can also print a receipt by clicking the “Print the Receipt” button.
The price for the passport is made to vary with regard to the age and number of pages.
Below is the list of prices with respect to the number of pages and age range.
- Age 0-17: 32 pages passport would cost N8,700, a 64-page passport would cost N20,000,
- Age 18-59: 32 pages passport would cost N15,000, a 64-page passport would cost N8,700.
- Age 60 and above: 32 pages passport would cost N8750, a 64-page would cost N20000.
However, there is an aspect where your validation number will be required.
Read Also: How to Travel Out or Japa from Nigeria
How to Use Your Validation Number
After you must have made the payment and obtained the “Validation Number”, you proceed to the NIS portal for confirmation of your payment. Here is how;
- Go to “Query your Application Payment Status” and enter your Passport Application ID and Reference No.
- If a “Validation Number” field appears, enter the number from your approved payment platform provider’s receipt. Remember: The validation Number has been generated after payment through bank.
- Click the “Search Record” button, and you will be sent to the “Applicant’s Details” page, where a date for your interview has been generated.
- You can now print a Receipt or an Acknowledgement Slip by using the buttons on this page. (You will need them for your interview).
- You will be presented with your NIS e-receipt or Acknowledgement Slip in a new window. Click the “Print” button to send a copy to the printer.
Having done all of that, you will be required to go through an interview process.
Read Also: Guide to Booking Flights in Nigeria
Types of International Passport
This type of passport is for the general public. This passport is for normal citizens who do not hold government positions. It has a green cover.
Documents required for a standard passport interview.
- Local Government letter of identification.
- Birth certificate/age declaration.
- Two recent coloured passport photographs
- Guarantor’s form sworn to before a commissioner of Oaths/Magistrate/ High Court Judge.
- Parent’s letter of consent for minors under 16 years
- Marriage certificate, where applicable
- Police report in case of a lost passport
Apply with supporting documents to the passport office / Embassy / High Commission.
This types of passport is for government officials, such as; Ministers, Governors, CBN Governor, Army Officials, etc. It is identified by colour blue.
- Letter of introduction from appropriate State Government, Federal Government Ministry/Organization.
- Marriage certificate, where applicable
- Police report in case of lost passport
- Letter of appointment/last promotion.
Submit the application with supporting documents to the passport office / Embassy / High commission.
Do you love the content you just read? Simply subscribe to our newsletter to keep track of more mind-blowing posts. Cheers!
If you are to travel by water, you might need what is called a seaman’s book alongside your passport or used to replace your passport, as the case may be. It has a Maroon cover. If you need a seaman’s passport, below are the requirements.
- Local Government letter of identification
- Birth certificate/age declaration
- Two recent coloured passport photographs
Submit application with supporting documents to passport office / Embassy / High Commission
Having done all of that, there is, however, a list of documents required for you to take along when it’s the due time for your passport appointment.
- Acknowledgement slip
- A copy of the duly completed application form.
- Printed and appropriately signed application forms to the passport office.
- Photocopy of Data pages of the Nigerian standard Passport of your guarantor and then your driving license or NIN or any valid means of identification.
However, individuals should note that applying online typically takes 48 hours to process, even after collecting your biometric data. You can do well to apply in advance as the process can take up to a month in rare situations. It is advised that you apply at least two months before you need to depart Nigeria.
The international passport is one of the most important documents you need when you want to travel out of the country. Do not fall into the hands of fraudsters by applying by proxy. You can do it yourself the easy way.
If you follow the steps mentioned in this article, you will have no problem securing your international passport.
Connect with us on Whatsapp Community and for more insightful discussions that can drive you towards better opportunities.
- Ebunoluwa Owoniyi is a student studying microbiology, a prospective graphics and fashion designer, she loves to write to enrich human knowledge.
- LifestyleFebruary 25, 2023A Complete Guide to Canada Visa Application in Nigeria
- LifestyleJanuary 27, 2023How to Apply for an International Passport in Nigeria
- Business InsightsNovember 23, 2022How to Use Pay Per Click Advertising on Your Website
- EntrepreneurOctober 25, 2022Top 10 Digital Marketing Tools To Help Grow Your Business