The ability to prepare an essential and delicious Nigerian food recipe and enjoy the process and outcome at 25 has to be a superpower.
So, you are lucky if you are reading this article because we will be exploring different essential Nigerian food recipes you must know in their most straightforward and accessible steps. And if you already have an idea of this recipe, this will be a plus.
6 Food Recipes You Must Know How to Make Before You Are 25
I know party jollof rice is excellent, but did you know you can have yours taste like one? Jollof rice is a must-know food recipe and more so for a Nigerian because after the rice is rice and jollof rice has to be the most overrated Nigerian food recipe and possibly the most straightforward and pocket-friendly food recipe.
Ingredients: The main components are rice, fresh tomatoes, bell pepper, chilli pepper, onions, optional ginger and garlic, curry and thyme, salt, Maggi, tomato paste, vegetable oil, and chicken/ turkey/ fish, basically any protein of your choice.
Steps to Make Home-Made Party Jollof Rice
Refrain from being in haste to dump in your ingredients when cooking jollof rice. Otherwise, you will end up with a “concoction”.
- To prepare your jollof rice, turn on your cooker and place a clean pot on it; pour in your vegetable oil and allow to heat, then pour in diced onions and allow to fry for a bit.
- Pour in your blended tomatoes, onions, garlic, and ginger, then stir until the excess water is dried; add your tomato paste and mix, after which you can now pour in your broth from your already boiled protein.
- Add your curry and thyme, water, then allow to boil, after which you will add your already washed or parboiled rice, add Maggi and salt to taste, and add more water just a little above the rice in the pot this also depending on whether you are parboiled or just rinsed the rice, then cover and reduce the heat on the cooker and wait for your rice to be done.
Stew or sauce has to be the most underrated Nigerian food recipe in a Nigerian home.
A pot of stew will save you the stress of thinking of what to eat as you have a pool of possibilities and varieties to go with, like, rice, pasta, yam, beans, and even bread, and you are satisfied until the next meal. It is a multipurpose one pot that solves all Nigerian food recipes.
Essential Ingredients: Fresh bell and chilli pepper, fresh Tomatoes, optional tomato paste, Onions, and vegetable oil.
- To prepare, blend your onions, peppers, and tomato into a paste.
- Then turn on your cooker, place a clean pot on it, wait till it is scorched, then pour in your vegetable oil or palm oil if you prefer, the amount is at your discretion, but it is advisable to run only a considerable amount at a time.
- When that is heated, you turn in your blended paste and stir, then wait until properly fried and the excess tomato juice dried. Then you can turn in the broth from your choice of protein.
- Add salt and Maggi to taste and allow to steam for a bit until your stew is ready.
Read also: Top 10 Body-building foods in Nigeria.
There are different types of soups in Nigeria. Among the common ones is Okra soup. Okra Soup is one of the easiest and quickest Nigerian soups to prepare. This Nigerian food recipe can be enjoyed with any swallow of your choices, like fufu, semo, wheat, or pounded yam.
Essential ingredients: Fresh Okra, locust beans(iru), Potash, Palm Oil, Beef or Dry Fish, Crayfish, Pepper, Salt, vegetable, and seasoning.
Note: To prepare, do not cover the pot throughout the cooking process.
- Clean the okra chop in tiny pieces or use a hand grater or blend. The smaller the okra is cut, the more it will draw.
- Place a clean pot of water on the gas and add a little potash, then your palm oil and let it boil.
- Add your pepper and crayfish, stock fish, or dry fish if you will be, and allow all this to simmer for a while.
- Pour in your meat broth if you have any, then season to taste.
- Put in your chopped okra and stir; add water bit by bit until you have achieved your desired consistency. Then add your preferred vegetable, go, and your okra is ready to be eaten with your preferred swallow.
Noodles and egg
As simple as this sounds, some Nigerians don’t know how to make tasty noodles and eggs. Noodles are one of the Nigerian food recipes that should be included in a first aid box—a meal you can have and prepare in about 10 to 15 minutes before a main meal.
Essential ingredients: Noodles, pepper, onions, and other optional vegetables you would prefer.
- To prepare, place water In a clean pot on the fire.
- Put in your egg to simmer.
- Add your noodles and vegetables and stir; cover the pot
- Check to see if the noodles are soft and if the water is dried.
- Take out your egg and peel the shell.
- Your noodles and egg are ready.
Yam pottage/ Yam porridge
This one-pot food recipe uses yam boiled and mashed with pepper mix. It can be garnished with plantain, vegetables, or any protein.
Ingredients: Yam, pepper, palm oil, crayfish, vegetables (optional).
- Peel and dice yam into small cubes.
- Boil yam in a pot of salted water until tender.
- Drain excessive water before adding your other ingredients.
- Mash yam with a fork until smooth.
- Add your seasoning to taste, and add vegetables if you use any.
- Allow to simmer for a bit and Serve hot. Enjoy.
Stir fry spaghetti
Stir fry spaghetti is an amazing must-know food recipe to show off your culinary skills. This food recipe is a good source of carbohydrates and vitamins. It is also easy to cook.
Essential ingredients: Pasta/spaghetti, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, onion, carrot, garlic, thyme, ginger, seasoning cubes, curry powder, vegetable oil, and your choice of protein.
- To prepare, Dice/chop the carrot, onion, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, ginger, and garlic. Cut or dice them on a flat surface separately (do not mix them)
- Put the spaghetti in a pot and boil. Add a spoonful of oil and cook it for 10-15 minutes (do not let it soften too much). Bring it down from the cooker and drain it.
- Put three spoonfuls of oil in your frying pan and add the diced onions and carrots. Cook this for about 2 to 3 minutes under medium heat. Then add the chopped green and red bell pepper.
- Allow it to cook for another 3 to 4 minutes, after which you will add the diced ginger and garlic, salt, seasoning cubes, curry powder, and thyme (add the seasoning cubes and salt according to taste).
- Add the parboiled pasta to the stir-fried veggies and cook for about 5 minutes while you stir as you cook. Your stir fry spaghetti is ready.
Join Insight.ng’s WhatsApp community here if you would love to be a part of us.
Whether a man or a lady, these are essential food recipes you must know how to make. In fact, as a man, knowing these recipes can be a plus for you to sweep your crush’s feet off the ground. Wink!
Subscribe to our newsletter for more useful and interesting content.
- Lifestyle2023.03.23List of Visa free countries for vacations
- Lifestyle2023.03.20History, Evolvement Of Masquerade Festivals In Nigeria and how it differs from the western world
- Opinion2023.02.25Benefits and Side effects of Wearing Contact Lenses
- Career2023.02.09Top 5 Fashion schools in Lagos to Start and Build Your Fashion Design Career