Pancakes are a beloved snack enjoyed by people all over the world, and Nigeria is no exception. Whether they’re light and fluffy or thin and crispy, pancakes are a versatile and delicious treat that can be customized to suit any taste.
Whether it’s a leisurely weekend breakfast or a special treat for the family, there are plenty of easy recipes that Nigerian mothers can try this year. Pancakes are more than just a tasty breakfast; they are a basis for creativity and a vehicle for cultural expression.
Table of Contents
8 Pancake Recipes Every Nigerian Mother Should Try This Year
Nigerian mothers who embrace these delectable pancake recipes will not only captivate their families with exciting new flavours but will also foster a deeper appreciation for the rich and diverse culinary traditions of Nigeria.
So, this year, let’s celebrate the art of cooking and make these delicious pancake recipes a part of our breakfast skills creating lasting memories and connections with our loved ones.
From traditional Nigerian recipes to creative flavoured recipes, here are 8 delicious pancake recipes every Nigerian mother should try this year:
This pancake is made with ripe plantains and it adds a unique twist to the normal pancake recipe. This plantain pancake recipe is quite easy and every Nigerian mother should try out this unique pancake recipe this year.
- Mash ripe plantains in a bowl.
- Add flour, a pinch of salt and sugar.
- Stir in some milk and beaten eggs.
- For some extra flavour, add a bit of nutmeg/cinnamon.
- Fry the batter in a pan until golden brown.
- Serve with honey (optional).
Scent leaf pancakes
For a traditional spice such as scent leaf, also known as basil, Nigerian mothers can take their pancake game from 0 to 100 real quick. It incorporates a unique herbal taste to the pancake. This pancake recipe is one that mothers can test their culinary experiments with, as it is a delightful combination of flavours.
- Blend fresh scent leaves to create a puree.
- Add flour, sugar and a pinch of salt.
- Stir the pancake batter and fry.
- Serve with a spiced syrup like palm syrup.
Coconut pancakes with pineapple compote
Coconuts are the best way to add that creative flavour twist to your normal pancake recipe. It gives off this unique tropical flavour or taste to the pancakes. This recipe is a delightful blend of flavours that everyone will enjoy! It is best enjoyed with pineapple compote.
- Make your normal pancake batter.
- Add dried coconut.
- Stir and fry pancake batter.
- Serve with pineapple compote for a perfect tropical taste. For the pineapple compote, simmer fresh pineapple chunks with a bit of sugar, lemon juice, and a splash of water until the fruit softens and releases its natural juices.
Don’t you think it’s prime time to connect with passionate readers or writers like you? If you agree with us, then the Insight.ng WhatsApp community is the right place for you to be. Join us today; you’ll be glad you did.
Akara pancakes with spicy tomato salsa
Akara is a popular Nigeria Street snack made from beans and it takes centre stage in this delicious pancake recipe. This easy recipe is a twist out of the ordinary and it is a great breakfast option for Nigerian mothers to serve to their kids this year.
- Blend soaked beans with onions, pepper and water to form a smooth batter.
- Scoop the batter onto a hot pan to form small pancakes.
- Cook till golden brown and slightly crisp.
- Add a spicy tomato salsa made of diced tomatoes, peppers and onions to add a vibrant flavour. Serve with a splash of lime juice.
Moin moin pancakes with shrimp and avocado salsa
Nigerian mothers should go out of the ordinary by making delicious moin moin pancakes this year. Moin moin, a Nigerian traditional snack can be topped with shrimp and avocado. The combination of fluffy pancakes with citrus salsa makes for a delightful breakfast option.
- Blend steamed beans with onions and pepper to a smooth batter.
- Cook batter until golden brown and crisp.
- Mix cooked shrimp with diced avocado for the salsa.
- You can add a squeeze of lime juice for that extra flavour.
Zobo pancakes with hibiscus syrup
Zobo pancakes this year? Yes! A unique twist to the regular pancake recipe is to add a vibrant splash of colour. Zobo is a Nigerian-made drink made with hibiscus and fruits. It infuses a unique flavour and tartness to the traditional pancake.
- Make your regular pancake batter.
- Add brewed and cooled Zobo.
- Cook batter to a vibrant red and crisp pancake.
- Make hibiscus syrup by simmering hibiscus flowers with sugar and a little water.
- Drizzle the syrup over the Zobo pancakes to enjoy a delightful treat.
Read also: Top 10 Best Food Delivery Apps in Nigeria
Puff Puff pancakes with caramelized banana
Puff puff is a popular Nigerian street snack that can be transformed into delicious fluffy pancakes served with caramelized banana. This combo provides the perfect twist that Nigerian mothers can add to their regular breakfast options.
- Make a simple batter out of flour, yeast and sugar.
- Add some scoops of batter to a pan and cook until golden brown.
- Heat sliced bananas in a hot pan with brown sugar to get that caramelized flavour.
- Top the puff puff pancakes with your caramelized bananas and enjoy.
Masa is a very popular Nigerian snack in the northern part of the country and it can be quickly incorporated into a delicious pancake treat. This pancake recipe is very easy to make.
- Make a pancake batter consisting of rice flour, yeast and sugar.
- Stir to get a consistent light texture.
- Cook on a pan till golden brown.
- Serve with a drizzle of honey for a blend of flavours.
By embracing these delicious pancake ideas, Nigerian mothers can bring new flavours and experiences to the breakfast table, creating cherished memories and satisfying the appetites of their loved ones.
Would you like to read lifestyle insights like this more often? Of course, it’s no big deal! All you’ve got to do is subscribe to our newsletter and let’s keep you posted.
Incorporating a variety of indigenous ingredients and flavours, these pancake recipes also provide an opportunity for Nigerian mothers to impart a sense of cultural pride and heritage to their families through the joy of cooking and sharing traditional dishes.
There are perfect pancake recipes for every taste and occasion. Nigerian mothers looking to elevate their breakfast game this year have an array of delightful and easy pancake recipes to choose from. From the sweet plantain pancakes to the unique scent of leaf pancakes and the tropical-flavoured coconut pancakes, pancake recipes offer opportunities for mothers to surprise their kids with unique breakfast options.
Edited by Priscilla Ajayi.
- Chovwe is content writer and a Fashion Designer. She's also a Chartered Mediator and Conciliator. She's an advocate for peace and loves art. She owns a fashion brand and is very passionate about what she does.
- LifestyleJanuary 30, 20248 Easy Pancake Recipes Every Nigerian Mother Should Try Out For Their Kids This Year
- LifestyleJanuary 2, 2024Gulder Ultimate Search: How It Started, Its Progress and Influence in Nigeria
- LifestyleNovember 24, 2023How to Make The Most of Black Friday Deals
- WomenSeptember 17, 2023Nigerian Women in Tech: Breaking Barriers and Making Strides