With the evolution of social media today, we cannot deny how powerful it has become – powerful enough to become a top marketing tool. It is crucial to know the best social media platforms for digital marketing in Nigeria and how to use them to keep up with this trend, especially as a business person.
This guide teaches the best social media platforms for digital marketing to use as an entrepreneur, business promotion, events, and how you can make the best use of its features to solve your business challenges.
What is digital marketing?
This is any form of marketing that is done online. With the development of technology, the world is becoming more technologically inclined, and we all have to adapt or get left behind.
Digital marketing is a billion-dollar industry. According to statistica.com, it had a value of $325billion in 2019. And despite a drop in 2020 due to coronavirus, it would grow to $389billion by 2021. Many companies are spending more money on it because of its many benefits, including its high return on investment (ROI).
Benefits of Digital Marketing
- Low cost
- Results are measurable
- Tailored and can be targeted to a specific audience
- Changing and editing advertisements even when published
Types of Digital Marketing
- Email marketing
- Content marketing
- Search engine optimization (SEO)
- Search engine marketing
- Pay per click (PPC)
- Paid advertising
- Social media marketing
How Social Media Marketing Works
Social media marketing helps you reach your target easily. With many people on at least one social media platform, it is almost certain your audience and the prospects that will suit your business marketing are online. With the right skills and expertise, you can target your content to reach the right people. There are so many social media platforms for digital marketing in Nigeria, with each having its unique features. After reading this blog post, you will know the best social media platforms for digital marketing in Nigeria that best suits your business.
5 Best Social Media Platforms for Digital Marketing in Nigeria
- There are 1.8billion daily active users,
- Facebook has at least 2.7 billion monthly users
- Daily active users account for 66% of Facebook’s monthly active users
Age and Gender Statistics
- 4% of all Facebook users are 45 and older(but seniors are the fastest-growing Facebook age demography
- 4% of all Facebook users are age between 25-34
- Male =56.4%
- Female = 43.6%
- Male users ages 25-34 make up the most significant demographic of Facebook users.
Facebook is the best of all social media platforms for digital marketing in Nigeria. Facebook came into existence in 2007 and was created by Mark Zuckerberg. It is unarguably the most popular social media platform in Nigeria. Just about everyone who uses a smartphone has a Facebook account. Almost everyone in all sorts of business is on Facebook. So with the proper targeting, you can find your target audience. You can start by creating a community of your customers and have conversations and build a perfect business relationship with them.
Its special ad feature is one of the unique features of Facebook. You can customize your advertising campaigns to what suits you best, whether you want to get more awareness for your brand or get conversions. You can build a community of your potential customers and interact with them through the Facebook group feature. It is a good platform for almost all businesses because of its wide usage and industries like e-commerce, food, retail even professional courses.
- There are 772miliion LinkedIn members
- 40 million people use LinkedIn for jobs, and three people get their dream jobs each minute
Age and gender
- Female =43%, male 57%
- 9 % of all LinkedIn users worldwide are range from ages 25-34. The next biggest user base of this platform is the age of 18-24, making up 20.3%
- 57% of LinkedIn users access the site y using their mobile devices
If you’re into providing professional services or into B2B (business to business) products, LinkedIn is the place for you. Although it was initially started as a platform for finding jobs, it has evolved, and its targeted ad feature helps you directly find your potential customer. It is business-oriented, and from the demographics, you can see that if you offer services like professional training, information and technologic services, accounting, financial services, and many other similar industries or you are even posting or advertising a job opening, LinkedIn is the goldmine for you, which is why it is the second of the five best social media platforms for digital marketing in Nigeria.
- By the end of September 2020, twitters average number of monetizable daily active users reached 187million
- In November 2020, the monthly active users reach 353 million
Age and gender demographics
- 70% male and 30% female
- Twitter has 28.9% of its users between the ages of 24 and 34. And 57>1 of its users aging from 25 to 49
Twitter is a platform for “microblogging.” It is like sending the world updates to what you’re doing or your opinion. It is one of the best platforms for building brand awareness or an online presence for your business. It helps you keep in touch with your audience.
You can also use this platform to tell your followers about new promos and products, update them on your business’s activities, and generate traffic to your website. A good marketer can use it to become a powerhouse in their respective industry. You can also keep a close eye on rival brands and see what they are doing and keep up with the latest trends.
Industries like hotels and resorts, news outlets, retail industries tend to thrive on Twitter.
You can use its unique ads feature to get more audience to view your content, not just a general audience but also audiences interested in what you’re tweeting. This will ultimately increase the way they engage with you and bring numerous benefits to your business.
One of Twitter ads’ best features is that you only pay when an ad has achieved its objectives. Hence saving you cost and bringing the best possible results. You can also find an influencer in your chosen niche to help promote your business.
- Over 1 billion users log in to Instagram each month (in 2020, there were over 854 million monthly users). This number will increase to over 998million by 2023
- In 2020, users spent an average of 30 minutes a day on the app
- 24% of users log in more than once per day.
- Over 500mllion accounts use Instagram stories each day
Age and gender demographics
- Female 51%, male 49 %
- 1/3 of Instagram users are ages 25-34
- Instagram is also very popular among younger users (teenagers)
This is an image and visual-based content platform. Its features and algorithm help you target your prospects directly.
The best industries that thrive here are food, e-commerce, and fashion. This is mainly because, with the demographics, people who are primarily interested in. professional-based enterprises might not enjoy their best results if they are marketed through this platform. You can target ads directly to the prospects who are already interested in the product or service you are marketing.
The direct message feature helps you make communication more accessible and straightforward, hence removing the stress and increasing the chance of getting more sales (conversion) and even building a relationship with your customers, which can only benefit you. the story feature can also be used to keep your followers and audience engaged with you regularly and for them to have access to behind the scenes footage of your business.
- YouTube has over 2 billion monthly users worldwide
- YouTube has over 126 unique monthly visitors
- Daily, the average youtube visitor spends about 17 minutes and 22 seconds on the platform.
- Each year people upload more hours of video content. As of 2019, about 30,000 hours of new video content was uploaded each hour
- Over 70% of YouTube watch time is on mobile devices.
If it were a search engine, it would be the second-highest search engine, only behind Google. Using YouTube can do wonders for your business,
It is a social media platform for videos. We all, at one point at another, watched a video off YouTube. But, we have all seen an ad before or during the video we want to watch and are watching. And most times, it’s almost scary how the YouTube algorithm always gets the right ad in front of us. that is how powerful youtube marketing is. If done right, it can be a game-changer for your business.
Almost all industries throve on YouTube. From entertainment to news channels, product reviews, relationships, fitness, education, and so on. Its tradeoff is that setting up a YouTube video might be costly and require a high level of expertise.
With best social media platforms for digital marketing in Nigeria and their different characteristics, demography, and features, you have to find the best suited to what you are marketing.
It is not advisable to advertise the latest gaming device on LinkedIn because most of its users aren’t interested in gaming. Even though you might find, you should advertise on a more suitable platform.
- Moses Ndahi is a content writer at insight.ng. He is a lover of sports and competition. He uses his unique outlook on life to give his well-thought opinions to solve problems.